A lot of grass roots club motor sport – most AutoSOLOs and Production Car Autotests, for example – does not require competitors to have special licences; often all that is needed is club membership. However, for more ‘serious’ events you will need an MSA Competition Licence.

There are various different licence types, and grades within those licence types, so you need to make sure you know which one you need before applying for it.

General guidance on licence requirements can be found on each motor sport discipline’s page in the Types of Motorsport Section, though it is always a good idea to check with the organiser of the event or championship you want to compete in if you are unsure.

Some licence grades can be purchased ‘off the shelf’. However, for the Race, Rally and Kart disciplines you will first need to buy a Starter Pack from the MSA Shop and then pass either an ARDS (Race), BARS (Rally) or ARKS (Kart) test. For more information on starter packs, please click here.

If you are applying for a first-time licence other than Race, Rally or Kart, you simply need to fill in a standard Competition Licence application form, which can be found by clicking here.

The majority of MSA Competition Licences can be applied for online and are dispatched within 10 days – five quicker than those applied for by post. To apply online, click here.

To speak to a member of the MSA Licensing Department, call 01753 765 050.