The Sport

ATA Carnet to Europe – FAQs

On 31 December 2020, the temporary transition arrangements in place between the EU and the UK expired, affecting the movement of motorsport vehicles and equipment to the EU. Following advice, Motorsport UK understands that an ATA Carnet will be required to temporarily move motorsport vehicles and equipment across the border.

An ATA Carnet is an international Customs document that operates like a passport for your goods.  It allows the temporary importation of goods into countries that are part of the ATA Carnet system (the EU and 40+ additional countries) and avoids you having to pay unnecessary taxes or duties. ATA Carnets cover all goods that are leaving the UK and returning within a 12-month period.  They do not cover disposable goods (oil, fluids) that will be used while out of the country or items that will not be returning to the UK.

Please visit for further information.

Below are a series of Questions and Answers which may assist you.

Q – Do I need an ATA Carnet for the transportation of a car used for motorsport when entering the EU?

A – That depends. If the vehicle is road-registered and road legal and you are transporting the vehicle yourself, you should not need a carnet provided you can demonstrate ownership (V5 document). Please note however there have been reports that some borders outside of the UK have not been following this guidance meaning passengers transporting their vehicles without a carnet have been fined and/or turned away from the border. We advise speaking with the Birmingham Chambers of Commerce before arranging transporting your vehicle to the EU.

If the vehicle is not road registered and road-legal, you will require an ATA Carnet, given the new border regulations with the EU. Please note any vehicle being transported by someone other than the registered owner, an ATA Carnet will be required.

Q – I wish to take a road legal competition car on a trailer across the border to the EU and then compete on circuits or at a rally; will I need an ATA Carnet?

A – If the vehicle is road registered and legal and you have the accompanying proof of ownership, then no carnet should be required. Please note however there have been reports that some borders outside of the UK have not been following this guidance, meaning passengers transporting their vehicles without a carnet have been fined and/or turned away from the border. We advise speaking with the Birmingham Chambers of Commerce before arranging transporting your vehicle to the EU.


Q – I am not a paid competition driver and want to compete in the EU just for fun, do I still need a carnet?

A – the carnet relates to the competition car, not the driver, so the carnet will still be required if the vehicle is not road registered and road legal.

Q – I plan on taking some spare equipment, tyres, parts and tools on my trip – do they need a carnet?

A – Yes, these should be listed on an ATA Carnet and all same equipment should be brought back to the UK, even any used tyres. For general hand tools or a toolbox, if they are low value and just hand tools these can be declared on an ATA Carnet as “toolbox containing hand tools” and a value for the total kit. Any specialist tools, electrical tools or items over £100 should be itemised separately and with their own values.

Q – Can I use a CPD carnet rather than ATA Carnet?

A – A CPD (Carnet de Passage en Douane) cannot be accepted within the EU and is only for use with road registered vehicles.

Q – I wish to visit a motorsport event in the EU as a spectator, can I drive my road car across the border to the event without an ATA Carnet?

A – Provided the car that is road registered and road legal, no carnet would be required.

Q – I want to take a kart overseas, do I need a carnet?

A – Yes, as a kart is not road registered and is of meaningful value, a carnet would be required.

Q – Is there any difference between taking a non-road legal competition car over for a non-competitive event (e.g. concours or show) or a competitive event where the vehicle will be raced?

A – If the vehicle is not road registered and road legal it will need an ATA Carnet, regardless of whether it is competing on track or just being exhibited.

Q – If someone else, a friend or commercial driver, were to trailer my road-registered and road legal car to the EU, would they need a carnet?

A – If the driver has the proof of ownership and accompanying approvals, even if in the name of another individual / company, then they will require an ATA Carnet.

Q – Is the carnet for travelling just to France or can I use the same carnet and drive to any EU country?

A – An ATA Carnet applied for the EU allows the vehicle to go to any of the EU countries for its validity. You just need to make sure there are enough vouchers in the ATA Carnet for multiple trips if the vehicle is coming and going from the UK to EU regularly.

Q – Will I need a carnet to compete in Northern Ireland if taking the ferry from Wales?

A – An ATA Carnet is not required to compete in Northern Ireland however, a Customs declaration will need to be completed.

Details of this can be found;

Q – If I live in Northern Ireland, will I require a carnet to compete south of that Border?

A – The Good Friday agreement and the new UK/EU deal means that goods should be able to move freely between NI and the Republic of Ireland. No carnet is required.


Q – Are there any carnet requirements travelling between mainland/ NI and the Channel Islands/ Isle of Man?

A – No, there are no ATA Carnet requirements for NI and the Channel Islands are covered by UK Customs so goods should be able to travel there freely.


Q – If I do not buy a carnet and one is required, what is the consequence?

A – Where required an ATA Carnet should be completed to ensure temporary movement of a competition car to the EU admission. Without an ATA Carnet the transporter could risk delays while paperwork is resolved and potential impounding of the goods until remedied.


Q – If my car is badly crashed do I need to bring it back to the UK?

A – Anything sent out on an ATA Carnet should be returned to the UK. If the vehicle is damaged you should either bring it back to the UK, or have it scrapped overseas and obtain proof of this (certificate/receipt) and the proof should reference the ATA Carnet number.


Q – What is a T1 form and can it help?

A – A T1 form is printed out when you make a Customs transit declaration. The transit procedure allows goods to move across the UK and through the EU without paying import duty. At its final destination it will be Customs and duty cleared. This is usually used with permanent exports only.

Q – I am headed to Switzerland, do I need a carnet?

A – An ATA Carnet applied for EU does not cover Switzerland as it is not part of the EU. When applying for the ATA Carnet advise what countries you are visiting to ensure appropriate paperwork is provided and that there are relevant vouchers and security against the ATA Carnet.

Q – Are the rules regarding carnets two-way and impact overseas competitors visiting and competing in the UK?

A – Yes, ATA Carnets will be required by European visitors to UK motorsport events where their vehicle is non-road registered/ legal.


Q – Where will customs documentation be checked? At the port or elsewhere.

A – You will only need to attend an Inland Border Facility if you are travelling through the port of Dover, Eurotunnel or Holyhead. If you have a carnet you will need to attend one of these to have your paperwork checked and stamped before heading to the port.

Further information can be found at

Q – What other paperwork has changed?


You must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before you can drive through some countries in Europe.


Health Card

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) has now been replaced by the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). If you have the former and it is still in date you can continue to use this until expiry, if not you should apply for the latter in order to access state healthcare when in the EU.

An EHIC or GHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance. Make sure you have both before you travel.


Insurance Green card

Following the outcome of the trade deal negotiations between the UK and EU, you will need to carry a physical Green Card while driving your vehicle in the European Economic Area (EEA).

The Green Card is an International Motor Insurance Certificate (‘IMIC’) issued by insurance providers, guaranteeing that the visiting motorist has the necessary minimum motor insurance cover for driving in the country being travelled to or through. The card can be accessed upon request from your insurer and many offer it free of charge; please allow for sufficient time before departure to apply.

Separate green cards will be required for trailers and caravans.



Passports should have a minimum validity of six months when embarking on overseas travel.

International Driving Permits

These are not required following the Brexit deal if you are visiting mainland Europe. Your current photocard UK driving licence will be accepted in all EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, but the UK government advises that holders of older paper licences may still need to apply for an IDP. If you do need one these should be turned round within 15 minutes at most post offices.


GB Car Sticker

You will require one of these.

Q – Where can I get further information?

A – The UK Government has detailed advice on what has changed since Brexit;

More information on Temporary Admission can be found at and a full list of eligible goods can be found at

More information on ATA/CPD carnets can be found at and