Competition Licences

Online Licence Application


2024 Competitor Application Form


2024 Entrant Licence Application Form


Competing Abroad in 2024


2024 Competition Licence Upgrade Card


What you need to know about your 2024 Licence


To compete in UK motorsport you will need a Motorsport UK Competition Licence. To compete in grassroots club motorsport – such as AutoSOLOs, Production Car Autotests, and Trials for example – you just need a free RS Clubman Licence and club membership. However, for certain events, you will need a higher grade of competition licence. You can find this information on page 142 of the Yearbook

There are various different licence types, and grades within those licence types, so you need to make sure you know which one you need before applying for it.

General guidance on licence requirements can be found on each motorsport discipline’s page in the Types of Motorsport section, though it is always a good idea to check with the organiser of the event or championship you want to compete in if you are unsure.

Some licence grades can be purchased off the shelf. However, for the Race, Rally and Kart (excluding Clubman/Tyro) disciplines you will first need to buy a Starter Pack from the Shop and then pass either an ARDS (Race), BARS (Rally) or ARKS (Kart) test.

The K-I and K-X kart licences are required for competing in the British Indoor Karting Championship (K-I) or Club 100 (K-X). Please note that you do not need to purchase a starter pack or pass the ARKS test to apply for these licences. For more information on either of these licences please follow the links above.

You are not required to take a test to apply for an RS Inter Club licence but the Association of Hillclimb and Sprint Schools (AHASS) offers a written examination that can count as an upgrade signature towards an RS National licence.

If you are applying for a first-time licence other than Race, Rally or Kart, you simply need to fill in a standard Competition Licence Application Form. For those under 18 applying for a Kart, Drag, Rallycross or Autocross licence, the parent or legal guardian must also apply for an Entrant PG licence by completing section 2B of the application form.

The majority of Motorsport UK Competition Licences can be applied for online and are dispatched within 10 days – five quicker than those applied for by post. To apply online, click here.

To speak to a member of the Motorsport UK Membership Services Team, call 01753 765 050.