- Permits

Do I need a permit?

If you are an MSA Affiliated Club and you are organising an event, you need a Permit or Certificate of Exemption. Permits cover competitive events. Certificates of Exemptions cover other motoring activities such as Touring Assemblies and Treasure Hunts.

How do I apply for a Permit or a Certificate of Exemption?

If you are the Secretary, Competition Secretary or Treasurer, you can apply online using the club login details. Other club officials can use the Organising Permit Application Form.

If you have forgotten your club login details you can contact the Competitions and Clubs department at Competitionsandclubs@msauk.org

How far in advance of an event must I apply for a Permit?

Online applications for Certificate of Exemption events can be made up to two weeks before the date of the event. Postal applications must be received no less than four weeks prior to the event.

Clubmans and National ‘B’ events must be applied for either by post or online no less than six weeks before the event.

Any event run at National ‘A’ or above must be applied for no less than eight weeks before the event (applications for International events cannot be made online).

Any application for an event which requires an MSA Steward should be made as early as possible in order to fit in with the MSA Stewards’ quarterly pre-allocation periods.

What are Supplementary Regulations and what do I need to include?

Certain types of event (excluding Certificate of Exemption) require Supplementary Regulations to be submitted along with the application form. The outline and order for what must be contained within these SRs are detailed in the MSA Yearbook under Regulation D10.1. It is essential that ALL the required information is included IN THE CORRECT ORDER.

To assist with writing up your Supplementary Regulations, a template can be downloaded here.

I receive an error message when trying to upload my Supplementary Regulations online.

The most common cause of this problem is that the SRs are not in the correct file format. To upload SRs when making an application online, they must be saved as a PDF file. Microsoft Word documents, TXT files and Microsoft Excel documents WILL NOT WORK. If you are unable to upload your SRs as a PDF file, please attach the original document in anemail to Competitionsandclubs@msauk.org and they will be able to convert them into PDF file format for you.

I cannot apply for permits online.

Firstly, you must ensure that you are making your application with enough notice before the date of the event. Secondly, permit applications can only be made when logged into the website as the organising club. Logging in as a competitor/official will not allow you to make permit applications. Online permit applications can only be made in the name of the Club Secretary, Competition Secretary and Treasurer.

When logged in as the club you are able to apply for permits, add your club’s fixtures to our site, edit club details and edit club officials’ details.

How much does a Permit cost?

There are two types of permit; Certificates of Exemption and Event Permits.

Certificates of Exemption are paid for prior to the event (when the application is made, whereas an Event Permit is paid for after the event (within 14 days), with an insurance fee and a permit fee charged per competitor.

All the up to date fees for permits can be found here.

How do I pay for Permits?

There are two ways to pay for permits, either online by credit or debit card, or by cheque. To pay online, simply log in as your club and click on “Permits”. Here you will be presented with all the permits you have applied for. To pay for a Permit, click on the “£” symbol, enter the number of competitors on the permit and check whether you have submitted post-event paperwork to the Competitions and Clubs department. Click the “Proceed” button and follow the on-screen instructions to enter your card details.

The Motor Sports Association accepts the following cards: Visa; Delta; EurocardMastercard; Switch and JCB. Regrettably, we DO NOT ACCEPT Electron; American Express; Diners Club or Solo.

Alternatively, you can pay by cheque made payable to ‘The Motor Sports Association’. Fill in the box at the bottom of the permit with the number of competitors and multiply this by the figure to the right of “competitors @”. Add any other charges such as Stewards fees or late fees and enter the total in the adjacent space. Return the permit, along with a cheque for the total amount and all post-event paperwork to:

Competitions and Clubs
Motor Sports Association
Motor Sports House
Riverside Park


Can I change some details on a permit that has already been issued?

Any changes to permits after they have been issued (venue, date, etc.) must be notified in writing (e-mail is acceptable) to the Competitions and Clubs department. Original permits must be sent back to the MSA with a covering note and revised Supplementary Regulations if necessary.

My event has been cancelled. What should I do?

It is vital that the MSA are notified of the cancellation of any event as soon as possible, particularly where an MSA steward is assigned. Notification is required in writing, e-mail is acceptable. Permits must be returned to the MSA marked "CANCELLED". If you have been advised that an MSA Steward has been appointed, please also notify them directly.

How do I apply for a Fixture?

Applying for a fixture is very similar to applying for a permit. Simply log into our website as your club and click on “Fixtures”. You will be informed that you are logged in as Club Secretary and can administer your club’s fixtures. Click on “Click here to proceed” followed by “Create fixture”. Next, fill in the date, venue and description, and select event category and type of event from the drop down menus. You can add any relevant pictures in the spaces at the bottom of the screen. Finally, click “Save changes” and your fixture will be sent to us.

You can change a fixture into a permit application by clicking the F>P icon in the permits screen.