Whether you are just starting out in karting or you are a seasoned rally or racing driver, it is important to have a distinctive brand. Sponsorship, social media exposure and marketing can be critical to your motorsport career and in this resource you will find Motorsport UK Academy’s Top Tips for building Brand You!
WHAT IS A BRAND, WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
A brand is a name, term, design, symbol or any other feature that identifies a seller’s goods or services which are distinct from others.
There are many drivers out there looking to obtain sponsorship and marketing partners and therefore building and establishing a strong brand can be as important as your performance behind the wheel.
IDENTIFY YOUR BRAND
In Motorsport, one of the most important considerations with your brand, is your logo. Your logo should be easily identifiable, eye catching, concise and recognisable – remember that your logo will appear everywhere, on your clothing, race suit, helmet, website and social media.
For your own brand, think about:
- Visual identity – what you are trying to say about yourself?
- What you are representing – what are your values?
- What is the product benefit – driving skills,potential, fan base?
- Emotional connection – what is your story?
- Your ambition – what are you aiming for,what are your goals?
A clearly defined brand makes approaching potential sponsors and securing a deal much easier.
YOUR BRAND AND VALUES
Your brand needs to be based on your personal values and reflect your behaviour and underlying belief system. In other words, your brand needs to be true to you.
TOP TIPS FOR ‘BRAND YOU’
- What does your brand say about you?
- Create a brand that you believe in
- Think about your logo and visual identity
- Be creative – stand out from the rest
- Keep your brand on message
- First impressions are vital
- Be proactive with website and social media engagement
- Keep local press up to date
- Record your progress
- Do your research before approaching sponsors
- Don’t give up on potential opportunities–follow up, be persistent
- Be YOU
FOR MORE INFORMATION