The Sport

Brexit Transition

The UK has left the EU, and the transition period after Brexit comes to an end on 31st December 2020. Given the very recent news of a trade deal with the EU, announced on 24th December, Motorsport UK is now exploring the implications for our sport with the relevant government departments. The governing body is aware of the need for organisers and participants to plan for 2021 and is seeking urgent responses from government to establish clear guidance.

Please continue to follow for the latest updates as further information becomes available.

What we know so far:

What does this mean for me if I want to travel into or through Europe to take part in motorsport events from 1st January 2021?

Individuals and teams travelling to events should be aware of key changes following the anticipated UK departure from the European Union.

So what in particular do I need to think about?

  • Travel insurance that includes personal health insurance
  • Passports (must have a minimum of 6 months’ validity and be less than 10 years old)
  • International Driving Permits (required by some EU states)
  • Green Cards (can take up to a month for insurance companies to issue)
  • All vehicles will need to display a GB sticker even if there is a GB logo on their vehicle number plate
  • Anyone driving their own car within the EU will be required to carry their vehicle V5C logbook
  • Anyone wishing to take a rental car out of the UK to the EU will also need to complete a VE103 form requesting permission

Please also note: Arrangements in respect of ATA Carnets and the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are yet to be announced. Motorsport UK will provide an update as soon as this information is available.

Will I be able to travel to the EU without a visa?

It appears that visa free movement will be permitted for 90 days in any 180 days for business (meetings & conferences) and tourism.

Sport should therefore be largely unaffected, including the movement of support staff where salaried in the UK, but if persons are salaried from within the EU this may not be so.

Longer stays and other business activities will be subject to the immigration rules of individual states.

Coaching overseas may be subject to the coach requiring a visa.

Will my current UK health care insurance be sufficient for travel?

Please check with your healthcare provider to see whether you are covered in Europe, as you may need to take out further insurance to provide the necessary cover.

Is a Green Card required and how do I obtain one?

From 1st January individuals require a green card to drive their car in Europe. This is a document motorists get from their insurer to prove their car is covered.

Motorists should contact their insurers six weeks before travelling to ask for a green card.

Separate green cards are needed for trailers and caravans.

The green card is only proof of a minimum level of third-party cover – individuals will need to check with their insurer to find out what level of cover they would receive.

Will I need an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

An IDP will be needed to drive in some European countries. Government advice is to check with the embassy of the country you are thinking of travelling to.

What about my equipment which needs to come with me?

We are seeking clarification from government on the subject of customs papers/carnets.

What if I am a settled EU Citizen living in the UK?

EU citizens will need to register with the EU settlement scheme before June, in order to continue living and working in Britain.

Successful applicants will be granted the indefinite right to continue living and working in the UK.

Further clarity is anticipated on this matter.

Further guidance

We draw competitors’ attention to the following sites for further guidance updates:

You can also use the Transition Self Checker to get more guidance and actions tailored to your organisation.