The high-speed discipline

Get Started


Sprint is a high-speed discipline in which drivers take turns to set a time around a lap of a race circuit or a point-to-point course, with the fastest times determining the results.

How does Sprint work?

Sprints are typically held on racing circuits, as well as disused airfields, and with venues spread right across the country you won’t have to travel too far to have a go yourself.

Competitors are given practice runs before the competition properly starts. You will get two runs against the clock, with your best time counting in the final results.

Check out this video below and watch more great motorsport videos on Motorsport UK TV


How do I start?

First, join your local Sprint club, which you can find using the club search function. You then need to apply to Motorsport UK for your RS Inter Club Competition Licence, available to anyone aged 14 or above. A good starting point is the Hillclimb & Sprint Association.

What kind of car do I need?

There are many different Sprint classes, including categories for standard or near-standard road-going vehicles, so you may already be driving your future competition car.

What equipment do I need?

It is possible for a standard road-going production car to be used in Sprints & Hill Climbs without any additional safety items. Modified production cars, or specialist Sprint or Hill Climb vehicles are required to be fitted with a Roll Over Protection System (ROPS), details of which can be found in section S of the Motorsport UK Yearbook.

As a minimum, you will be required to wear a helmet, flame-resistant overalls and gloves to approved standards. Details can be found in section S and section K of the Motorsport UK Yearbook.

Technical regulations for Sprints & Hill Climbs are found in section S of the Motorsport UK Yearbook. Specific event or Championship regulations are found in Supplementary Regulations (SRs) made available by the organiser.