The gateway to your first licence

Get Started

Starter Packs

Motorsport UK Starter Packs are the gateway to your first Motorsport UK Race, Rally or Kart Competition Licence. You can purchase one from the Motorsport UK Shop or call us on 01753 765000.

Please check that you meet the competition licence medical requirements before purchasing a pack. A Go Karting Starter Pack is not needed if you are applying for a Motorsport UK K-I or K-X licence.

The packs – Go Racing; Go Rallying; Go Karting – contain:

  • A Competition Licence application form
  • A booklet outlining the next steps towards your first Competition Licence
  • A Motorsport UK USB stick featuring the Motorsport UK Yearbook and an instructional film
  • A Motorsport UK keyring.

Your Competition Licence for your first year is included in the cost of your Starter Pack.

Once you have purchased a pack you will need to book and pass a course with an accredited school:

When you have passed the relevant course and had your Competition Licence application form stamped by the ARDS, BARS or ARKS examiner, you will be able to apply to Motorsport UK for your licence.

Medical Requirements

Everything you need to know is detailed in the starter pack booklet, but here are some key points and additional information:

  • As per regulation H10.1.8, epilepsy is incompatible with fitness to Race, Kart, Kart Endurance, Kart Tyro, Kart Bambino, Rallycross, Stage Rallying, or International Rallying. If a person with epilepsy has not had a seizure or medication to prevent or control fits for a period of ten years they may present that case to Motorsport UK’s Medical Consultant for consideration. For other events a person with epilepsy  may be considered for a competition licence providing they can show that they have not had a fit for five years whether on or off medication.
  • If you are aged between 14 and 59 and applying for your first Race, Truck or Long Circuit Kart Licence, only a vision test is required. See Section 4A of your application.
  • If you are aged 60 and over applying for your first Race, Truck or Long Circuit Kart Licence, you must have a medical and vision test. See Section 4A and 4B of your application.
  • If you are under 18 years old and applying for a Kart Licence, your Parent or Legal Guardian must also apply for an Entrant PG Licence under Section 5.
  • Non-UK passport holders should note that Motorsport UK is only able to issue Competition Licences to those residing in the UK and able to provide proof of address.
  • If your Race Inter Club or Kart Inter Club Competition Licence lapses for a period of 3 years or more, you may be required to retake your ARDS or ARKS test before applying for your next licence.

If you have a disability or medical condition please ensure that this has been assessed and approved by our medical team prior to you purchasing a ‘Go Starter Pack’ or booking a driving course assessment with an accredited school.  Please email the medical administrator at with details of your disability/medical condition if you are unsure.

Member Benefits

By joining Motorsport UK you can take your passion to the next level with exclusive discounts and offers from major retailers and automotive partners. Find out more about our full list of Member Benefits.

Shop Online

Visit our Shop

Join your local motor club

Find a Club

Fixtures & Events

Get Involved