Silverstone’s ‘Shift to Zero’ wins Motorsport UK’s 2023 Environmental Award
Motorsport UK’s coveted 2023 Environmental Award has been awarded to Silverstone, in recognition of the world-famous venue’s industry-leading ‘Shift to Zero’ campaign that will propel its journey to net zero.
The Motorsport UK Environmental Award recognises outstanding achievements and initiatives that are aligned to Motorsport UK’s Sustainability Strategy that aims to help the sport reach the goal of net zero at both a national and grassroots level.
Silverstone launched its far-reaching business sustainability strategy in June 2022, setting out its commitment to maximise its racing mentality to fast track challenging changes and become a platform for innovation as well as a sustainable destination for business and events.
That pioneering vision is to accelerate sustainability in motorsports by committing to an ambitious ten-year venue and facility investment strategy. This puts the ‘Shift to Zero’ at the centre of daily operations, aligning Silverstone’s plans with those of F1 and other key partners in the sport in their shared ambition to be Net-Zero Carbon by 2030.
Specific measures outlined within the strategy include:
- The completed installation of 2,764 panels covering over 5,200 m2 on the roof of the Wing – the International Conference and Exhibition Centre situated in the F1 paddock generating over 10% of the venue’s power
- Using Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) to run all on site generators that are under the control of Silverstone – resulting in a 90% reduction of emissions
- Targeting all energy to the site to be 100% renewable in 2023
- Introducing 30 electric vehicle charging stations on site this year
- Implementing 22 water refill stations to help reduce single-use plastics
- Continuing to evolve its catering offer to encourage more plant-based options and reduce food waste
- Zero single use plastic and zero waste to landfill, with 100% waste being re-used, recycled and composted by 2026
- At an international level, Silverstone recently committed to the United Nations Sports for Climate Action programme and was awarded FIA 2* Sustainability Accreditation. Silverstone Circuit was the first motor racing venue to join the UNFCC Sports for Climate Action programme, cementing its position as a collaborative leader within the global sporting community, as the world seeks to identify solutions to tackle climate change through sharing knowledge.
Hugh Chambers, Motorsport UK Chief Executive Officer, said, “There is no greater time than now for our industry to find and implement a range of solutions that will help the sport to reach net-zero. Venues represent a critical part of the journey for motorsport to achieve this goal and Silverstone’s approach to environmental sustainability sets the standard for top tier circuits across the globe.”
Stuart Pringle, Silverstone Managing Director, commented, “As the home of British motorsport we have a responsibility to lead the way with smarter and cleaner methods of working and sustainability is now at the heart of all we do at Silverstone. I am delighted our initial efforts have been recognised and look forward to unveiling further initiatives as our plans develop.”
The Award was presented by Motorsport UK Chair, David Richards CBE, to Stephane Bazire, Head of Business Sustainability & Partnerships at Silverstone, at Motorsport UK’s Night of Champions on Saturday 28 January 2023.
About the Motorsport UK Environmental Award
The Motorsport UK Environmental Award was created to recognise a truly exceptional and outstanding achievement or contribution towards environmental responsibility and the active promotion of sustainability within motorsport activities, events and communications. Previous recipients have included Extreme E, Williams Hybrid Power, Rally for Wales and Lord Drayson.
It underpins the governing body’s continued focus on sustainability within motorsport. In 2021 Motorsport UK published its Sustainability Strategy which contains a series of climate action recommendations and commitments to creating a sustainable sport. In 2022 Motorsport UK put this plan into action by undertaking a series of initiatives designed to help the sport reach the goal of net zero at both a national and grassroots level.
Further detail on Motorsport UK’s Sustainability Strategy and initiatives, alongside helpful resources for clubs and competitors, can be found on Motorsport UK’s website.